For the six area teams making the trek to Tennessee Tech’s Tucker Stadium for one last go this week, the final 48 minutes represents the end of a journey most thought might not make it to the finish line at all.
But all six of them have something in common — they’ve been to this point before. And at least two of them will bring back gold balls, as a pair of title games feature matchups between area teams. That’s one more than last year, when Davidson Academy was the only area team out of seven to win a title.
Summit was the newcomer last year in the Class 5A final, making their return trip more about handling unfinished business from 2019. Among the finalists, the Spartans have perhaps been affected the most this season with multiple games lost due to opponents’ cancellations. No matter. They took care of business in the postseason, going on the road to two tough environments the past two weeks and coming home with wins to punch their ticket back to the BlueCross Bowl.
Brentwood and Oakland have also had scheduling hiccups along the way, with one such disruption creating the opportunity to play each other in October. Though it came on short notice, and Oakland rolled to a 37-0 victory, round two figures to be much different given the tests the Bruins have endured this postseason. Brentwood hasn’t been in the title game since 2002, while Oakland’s last visit came two years ago.
Davidson Academy’s run in Division II-A officially comes to an end on Thursday, and the Bears are seeking to depart that class as three-time defending champions.
CPA and Lipscomb Academy seemed to be on a crash course for a title game rematch for quite some time. The Lions want to put last year’s runner-up finish behind them, while the Mustangs will try to take CPA down for the second time this season in order to win their first title since their last title game appearance in 2007.
Meanwhile, catch up on what you might have missed from the Division I semifinals:
- 615 Preps
- Slice and dice: Oakland’s ground game pounds Maryville to punch BlueCross Bowl ticket
- No creekbank magic: Trousdale County’s late rally falls short in 2A semifinals
- Swept away: Nolensville falls to Elizabehton’s second-half storm
- Vote for the Citizens Bank Player of the Week for the Division I semifinals!
- Daily News Journal
- Roundup | Brentwood advances, gets Oakland in Class 6A final
- Jordan James, Oakland run over Maryville into Class 6A title game
- Joyce: Oakland’s dismantling of Maryville a mirror image of 2018
- Murfreesboro Post
- Oakland whips Maryville 49-7 to reach state title game
- Williamson Herald
- Playoff Football: Brentwood reaches first championship since 2002
- Playoff Football: Summit earns trip back to state finals
- Playoff Football: Nolensville’s season blown over by Elizabethton
- Williamson Home Page
- Brentwood football back to state title game for first time since 2002 in road Bartlett victory
- Summit football back to state championship game after road semis win over Henry Co.
- Nolensville football suffers heartbreaking loss in 4A state semifinals to Elizabethton
- Main Street Preps
- Trousdale County falls to Meigs County in Class 2A Semifinals
- ROUNDUP: Brentwood heading to first state title game since 2002
- On-the-rise Nolensville falls to Elizabethton, looks ahead to 5A future
- Summit returns to Class 5A state championship game
- 4 high school football takeaways entering TSSAA championships
- Nolensville still hopeful for future despite semifinal loss
- Trousdale County rally comes up short against Meigs Co.
- Summit puts Henry County away, returns to 5A title game
- Nashville area top performers from TSSAA state semifinals
- Southern Middle Tennessee Sports
- WADE CARRIES SPARTANS INTO BLUECROSS BOWL